Thanksgiving 2010- Stewed Green Beans with Bacon

11.23.2010

This has been a part of our Thanksgiving menu since 2008.  I ADORE bacon....
Stewed Green Beans with Bacon

Ingredients

8-12 slices of bacon, cut crosswise in small pieces
1/2 of a large sweet onion
2 1/2 lbs fresh green beans, stem ends removed-you can also use frozen, just reduce your water by 1/4 cup
16 oz  reduced sodium chicken broth-I use Kitchen Basics
2 cups water- 1 3/4 if using frozen beans
coarse salt and ground pepper
Optional:
1-2 Cloves of garlic or granulated garlic, to taste, added during simmer time

Directions

In a 5 qt dutch oven or heavy pot, brown bacon over medium heat, about 10-12 minutes. if you have a cast iron pot, this is perfect
Do not be afraid to add your family's favorite seasoning.  Sometimes I throw in some garlic! Chop it up and toss it into the pot with your bacon!
Chop onion (and garlic, if you like) to your liking and add to pot with bacon. Cook until soft.

Add green beans, broth and water.


Add some salt and pepper. Easy on the salt...your liquid will reduce and you may end up with more salt than you'd like. Better to have too little at this point....believe me...I learned the hard way!

Bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer and cook until beans are tender, about an hour.  If granulated garlic is being used, add it now.
Taste and season more, to taste. 

I also add a few tablespoons of butter...just...well...just because... :)

much love,

0 comments:

Post a Comment